Sunday, August 22, 2010

My new Gilmour.

So after many months fussing over this and that and scrapping together the parts for it my new custom made and sprayed Andy Gilmour bike is together at last!!!



made from Easton scandium tubing and built round a standard geometry, taken from my old favourite Bianchi San lorenzo frame.

Andy built in by request, S bend seat and chain stays and an integrated Ritchey WCS head set.

bought together with alpha Q10 full carbon forks and steerer, and Ritchey WCS alloy bars and Reynolds stem;.

With my past history of failures with carbon parts i don't trust anything but alloy in critical areas such as the flight deck.

And kitted out with campagnolo chorus 10 speed group-set supplied at an unbeatable price through Coach Mirek Mazur of Team Mazur. (thank you for coming through again!)

I went with the 10 speed for several reasons, not only the price but also for compatibility with my other road bikes as well, and so i could avoid having to pay $200 for a feckin campagnolo chain breaker.

For my butt i went for the old faithful fizik arizone saddle which seems to agree with me well on long rides, combined with a FSA slk light carbon seat post. I choose some reliable and light specialized water bottle cages and a set of campagnolo neutron ultra wheels and speed play zero pedals to round of the bike fit out.


And whilst it may not be as light as some of today mass produced carbon offerings from Taiwan, weighing in at around 17.5lbs its initial ride felt super smooth over the bumpy old crap of my usual training loop, and very responsive when i jumped out the saddle to put some speed out.

But best of all its mine..a one of a kind there is nothing else out the like it!

I always dreamed of having my very own custom bike built one day and now that dream has come to fruition.

so now i guess i can transfer my (seemingly) never ending desire for new bikes onto something else.

My girlfriend asked me not to get any more bikes until we lived somewhere bigger.

i said i couldn`t promise to do that....

desire is a terrible mistress....

No comments:

Post a Comment