Monday, January 24, 2011

Only 26wks till my first peak!!!


Only 26wks till my first cat A race!!!! better rouse myself from my winter hibernation and get my skates on....[sarcastic smiley].

Well its been a manic week or two.

Two exams, a 24hr puking bug and filing my college applications. When you combine that with -20c temps and wind chills, cycling has taken somewhat of a back seat.

Not to be unperturbed I finally dragged my sorry ass onto my trainer for a sweat fest the last couple of days. I am not a huge fan of trainers, everything seems harder on there. What i can do without barely noticing on the road seems like torture indoors, but I've set myself up with a little space in which to train exposed to the elements (the windows open) and fulling rigged with the best surround sound dts 2.0 home theatre $30 and a lap-top can buy you.

Which is still an improvement on before, but even with all the windows open and a wall of exterior -17c temps less than 12" from my side, i still ended up with a puddle of sweat beneath my bike after a 50min workout.cause there is so much text today, I thought I better add a random image of a girl
with wheels worth more than her life is (governmentally speaking of course) , to break things up....


Anyway for me at least the answer to getting through those sessions is variety and purpose.

here's a breakdown of my session.

5mins easy spin @ 95 rpm
5mins easy spin @ 100 rpm
5mins easy spin @ 105 rpm
5mins easy spin @ whatever feels relaxed.

then a set of sweet spot (88%ftp-92%ftp) pyramid intervals @ :

1min on
1min off
1min30secs on
1min off
2min on
1min off
2min30secs on
1min off
3min on
1min off

then work your way back down again to 1min on.

5mins cool down.

all wrapped up in 50mins and an episode of Dexter.

here`s the file :

Basically I'm working my way very slowly toward my bread and butter intervals of 3x20@ftp so I can be in some kind of shape before the roads open up and I can get back to some proper training again.

Although i`d like to be in shape for the first couple of races in April, they`re not really important in the greater scheme of things so I'm taking things pretty slowly.

Ok whateva...I'm hoping to get away to BC for ski trip with a little Dakini soon. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment